Your initial therapy visit with Dr. Shaeffer will be one hour, where we will follow a specific series of steps to identify your issue, articulate your goals and create a physical therapy solution plan. Here is what you can expect:
1. Clarify the reason for your visit, including goals and expectations.
2. Review current injury. During this time, we will also discuss your medical history, including former injury, sports history, current activity and any other pertinent information. Please make sure you have completed ALL of your new patient forms in advance for Dr. Shaeffer to read, so that we can review them together. Please be prepared to discuss previous approaches to remedy your issues, and any physicians, clinicians or coaches that you are currently working with.
3. Complete physical assessment, including all extremities, spine and all systems involved, which may include muscle testing, mobility and, balance, sensory acuteness, walking, running, day to day activities, and sport and other activity-specific testing to ensure that our plan is appropriate. Please be prepared to have equipment with you and or pictures relevant to your issue to help with the most realistic assessment of your abilities. (For example, a photo of your workspace, baby carrier, running shoes, etc.)
4. Review assessment, verify your goals, adjusting as necessary, and discuss a plan of action.
5. As time allows, Dr. Shaeffer may begin treatment.
6. At the end of your first visit, we will determine an approximate timeline to achieve your goal. We will discuss how often you would benefit from coming to the sessions and what you could do on your own and with your other team members to expedite reaching these goals. Additional visits may be scheduled at this point with a member of Dr. Shaeffer’s administrative staff.
Note: Members of your solution team (i.e. coach or trainer) are welcome to attend and record your session. In many cases, this can enhance your understanding and help with the follow-up in your treatment plan.
1. Review progress, including physical range of motion.
2. Review physical therapy goals and your solutions timeline, adjusting and progressing as necessary.
3. Treatment as needed.
Engaging in treatment requires commitment on the patient’s behalf to implement the corrective movement patterns, training protocol and pain management strategies prescribed by Dr. Shaeffer to support your goals. You are always encouraged to communicate any concerns or questions between sessions via email or phone to ensure appropriate performance of your activities you are assigned, and to ensure that your follow up visits meet your current needs.
Copyright © 2020 Brenda Shaeffer, DPT - All Rights Reserved